Don’t let your dog play with sticks

Sparky found a stick in the yard and had a grand old time playing with it. The pics of him playing with it are cute, as you can see. (Click for big)

However, I saw a horrible stick injury when watching a show on Animal Planet (I think it was Emergency Vets). A golden retriever chased after a stick and it bounced off the ground. It went through the soft palate of his mouth and into his brain. I told mom and she said she wouldn’t let Sparky play with sticks any more.
As the website linked to above says, “Sticks can kill, not only at the time but years later. They can also lead to permanent disablement. Is this worth a few minutes pleasure when there are safer toys?”

6 Responses to “Don’t let your dog play with sticks”

  1. January 20, 2008 at 5:56 pm

    Yes, sticks are very dangerous. Dogs get injured more by sticks and would you believe by eating socks!

  2. January 20, 2008 at 9:12 pm

    I never thought of this, nor have I heard of a dog being hurt this way. But it makes sense. Now mom won’t let me play with sticks out in the yard. She already won’t let me play with socks.

    The pictures sure are cute!

  3. January 21, 2008 at 8:27 am

    Rusty, glad sticks are out of your toy repertoire. I didn’t know they were dangerous either until that show.

    4urpets, I’ve had a problem with Moose back when he was just a year or two old. He loved eating not only socks, but I used to put moisturizer on my hands and wear cotton gloves to sleep in the winter (Colorado is dry!) and he’d eat the gloves! Anything with that moisturizer on it, he’d eat (including the remote control). Lucky for me he never got seriously hurt (pooping out gloves and socks whole would happen). Any dog could die from something like that, but if anyone can poop out a glove, a St. Bernard is up for the task.

  4. January 24, 2008 at 5:48 pm

    who knew sticks could be so bad. we use to chew on them but mommy stopped that. good thing we never really played with them or we’d think mommy was a meanie. But our friends Maya & Kena had a really bad experience with a stick on their walkie but all including their mommy are okay. so no sticks fur either of you K?

    Love Licks & waggin TX tails

  5. July 20, 2013 at 11:22 pm

    Article Source: Jasmine Hall enjoys writing for Thecatpetshop.
    This isn’t real, because cats never do vengeful things. It is possible to teach your cat how to walk on a leash, and then he will be roaming outside safely.

  6. August 3, 2017 at 6:39 pm

    Excellent post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful information specially the ultimate section :
    ) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a very lengthy
    time. Thank you and best of luck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

About this site

This blog is to tell the story of one of the cutest puppies in the world - Sparky - and all of his people and animal friends. He was a gift from me to my parents. You can read the background scoop on Sparky here. Visit often to see Sparky's most recent photos!


Clickin’ Around

Moose's Dogster Page

Blog Stats

  • 11,431 hits

%d bloggers like this: